Stop bad actors from targeting individuals in your company from socially-engineered phishing and spoofing attacks with our custom rules. Emails that look like they're internal communications from company CEOs, VPs, Executives names may be spoofed in the From Header to employees in the hopes of extorting money, asking for bank details, downloading malware, or click on dangerous links in emails.
Have you seen emails where the From header contains the name of one of your executives? For example, if your CEO is named "Jane Doe", you may have seen emails where the From header looks like this:
From: "Jane Doe" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
When viewed like this, the phishing attempt is obvious. Unfortunately, many email clients, including those on many smartphones, display only the "Full Name" by default, so your users may just see that the email came from "Jane Doe" and not see the rest of the email address.
MailRoute suggests that you consider blocking these messages with our powerful Anti-Phishing filtering feature. You can block all email from the outside that contains the full names of employees in the From Header, and send them to directly to your MailRoute Quarantine.
Note: Internal email within your company should stay local to your own mailserver. Email from your CEO to the accounting department should be staying local and not traveling over the internet and coming in through MailRoute, so these sorts of blocks should not affect your internal email.
How To Configure Your Custom Anti-Impersonation/Spoofing Filters
1. Identify the people in your organization that are vulnerable for targeted attacks. Note their standard email client settings - how do they set the "From" address in their email. Make a list of different variations of their name as well. "Jane Doe" may also be "J Doe" or "Janey Doe" or "Janie Doe". Consider whether blocking those would help protect your users.
2. Login to your MailRoute Control Panel (you will need to be an Administrator) and go to Allow & Block section in the left-hand menu.
3. Select by the "by Header" option:
4. Click the "Add" button to add a new entry:
a. Select "Block Header" for the Action to be performed.
b. Enter "From" in the Header field
c. Enter the Full Name of the VIP whose name you wish to filter from inbound email:
for example "Jane Doe"
d. Click Save
5. Repeat Step 4 for each of your users, and for each variation of the user's name.
For example, for "Jane Doe", you may also wish to add blocks for:
Users you have added to this From header Blocklist may have outside email addresses that they use. For example, Jane Doe may have an email address at gmail that they use to send email every once in a while. You may need to enter those email addresses as a general Whitelist by Sender: